San Diego Circuit
What is the Circuit?
As a San Diego County Library (SDCL) cardholder, you can now make online requests for books from the following local universities: UCSD, USD, SDSU, CSU San Marcos. Similar to placing a request in our catalog, the university books will be shipped to your local SDCL branch.
This is a free service. Fines for late, damaged, or lost books are different, so please keep reading.
What do I need to use it?
- An SDCL library card and PIN
- Internet access from outside the library, or, a Catalog computer from inside the library.
How do I access and use the Circuit?
- Search our catalog as you normally would.
- If SDCL does not own a copy of the book you want, then click on the "Search in Circuit" button to see if a copy is available at one of the university library systems. (Circuit requests can not be made for books that SDCL already owns).
- Inside Circuit, click on the title you want, and click the link called "REQUEST THIS ITEM." When you are asked to enter your name, use your name as it appears in My Library Account.
What can I request?
You can request books that are currently available on the shelves of university libraries. If the book you want is checked out, please try your search at another time (in other words, there is no wait list). Materials such as audiobooks, CDs, and movies can not be requested through Circuit.
What happens after I place the request?
You will be notified by mail or email when the book is ready for you to pick up. We encourage you to use email notification. You can add or change your email in My Library Account by selecting the Modify Personal Info button.
How long can I keep the book(s)?
28 days. Renewals are possible if a university customer is not waiting for the book. In rare circumstances, the university may also recall the book during your loan period.
How many Circuit books can I request and check out?
The maximum number is 20 at any one time. Requests that you have not yet received count towards the 20 book limit.
What are the fines for late books? Lost or damaged books?
For overdue books, the charge is $1 per day per book. For lost or damaged books, the charge is $100.
We hope you enjoy this service. If you encounter any problems, please call your local branch.