Skip to Content
Due to power outages, the following library branches will be closed on Wednesday, November 14:
Campo, Descanso, Jacumba, Julian, Pine Valley, Potrero, Rancho Santa Fe and Valley Center
[+] Learner Requirements
- Be at least 18 years old, or 16 if not enrolled in school;
- Make a minimum commitment of six months;
- Meet with a tutor for 1-1/2 hours twice a week at a County Library branch.
[+] Volunteer Tutor Requirements
- Be at least 18 years old, with the equivalent of a high school diploma;
- Pass the County of San Diego's Volunteer Background Check;
- Successfully complete LEARN's Tutor Training program;
- Commit to a minimum of six months as a tutor;
- Meet with a learner for 1-1/2 hours twice a week at a County Library branch;
- Be patient, flexible and supportive with a sense of humor.
- Apply now to be a volunteer tutor »
Adult Literacy in San Diego County
An average 20% of adults locally struggle with reading and writing. It can be a source of embarrassment for adults, who are often unwilling to ask for help.
- Many have learning disabilities;
- Others received insufficient individual instruction in school or at home;
- Others are immigrants seeking to learn English.
Adult Literacy Services at San Diego County Library
- LEARN offers free, confidential adult literacy and learning services;
- Services include one-on-one and small group tutoring and computer-aided instruction;
- Centers are in the El Cajon and Vista branch libraries;
- Services are available at all San Diego County Library branches.
How LEARN Works
- Adults are assessed by a LEARN staff member at the their most convenient branch library; new English learners are assessed by Laubach personnel.
- Learners are matched with a trained volunteer tutor;
- Learners and tutors agree on a schedule and meeting place;
- Tutors are trained in learner-centered curriculum and teaching methods that help learners achieve goals important in their lives;
- Tutor/learner pairs meet twice a week for 1-1/2 hours per session;
- LEARN provides materials and ongoing support;
- Tutor/learner pairs report progress on a monthly basis.
Apply now to be a volunteer tutor »
El Cajon Branch Library
201 E. Douglas Ave.
El Cajon, CA 92020
Phone: (619) 588-3740
Fax: (619) 588-3732
Vista Branch Library
700 Eucalyptus Ave.
Vista, CA 92084
Phone: (760) 643-5144
Fax: (760) 643-5127
Toll Free: (888) 466-0668