Under the guidance of the California Department of Public Health, San Diego County Libraries will provide Walk-up Door-side
service Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at all 33 branches. Visit sdcl.org/services
for more information.
Bajo la dirección del Departamento de Salud Pública de California, las bibliotecas del condado de San Diego brindará el servicio sin previa cita
para recoger en la puerta de lunes a viernes de 10 a.m. a 4 p. m. en las 33 sucursales. Visite sdcl.org/services
para obtener más información.
700 Eucalyptus Ave
Vista, CA 92084
Toll Free: 1-866-279-9629
What is Books-by-Mail?
- An award-winning program available to all qualifying San Diego County residents, including children.
- You can receive library materials, free of charge, through the mail.
Who can receive service?
You are eligible if you:
- Are temporarily or permanently homebound.
- Have a disability or are ill.
- Are the caregiver to someone who is ill.
- Lack transportation or live in a remote area of San Diego County that is far from a library or a mobile library stop.
How are materials selected?
- You will fill out a detailed application about your reading interests, including favorite genres and authors.
- You can select from various formats, i.e. regular print and/or large print books, audio books, only paperbacks, no large or heavy books and magazines.
- You're welcome to make specific requests, or we make selections based on your profile.
How does it work?
- Readers automatically receive a new bag as soon as the current one is returned.
- A maximum of six items per bag can be mailed.
- The check-out period for each item is three weeks. The items can be renewed if no one is waiting.
- Your library card is free, and postage is pre-paid by the library.
Which types of materials are available?
Books, magazines, audio books (CDs and cassettes). At this time it is not possible to check out DVDs, videos, newspapers, or interlibrary loan materials.
How do I apply for Books-by-Mail?
Please call toll-free: 1-866-279-9629 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do customers say about Books-by-Mail?
"Whoever came up with the idea of Books-by-Mail - thank you! For a shut-in this has been a lifeline. Depression has turned into hope."
"Just wanted to thank you for all the thought you put into choosing the selection for my sister-in-law. It was a perfect choice for her."
"I just wanted you to know how much mom and my entire family appreciate what you and the library do for her."
"Thanks again for your faithful service to the visually handicapped. It is truly a blessing that all of you are there to help."
San Diego Resident
"Thanks for doing such a good job picking out books for me to read. Makes the day a little less boring."
El Cajon Resident
"Thank you so much for your help. You are the greatest and provide such a wonderful service."
National Association of Counties
"Best of Category" Achievement Award
American Library Association
Bessie Boehm Moore-Thorndike Press Award
California State Association of Counties