Skip to Content
Limited In-person services are available Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a sanitation break from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
Walk-up Door-side service is available on Mondays and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 4 pm. Please click here for more information
SDCL is committed to serving the needs of the public while ensuring the safety of customers and staff.
Servicios limitados en persona los martes, miércoles y jueves de 10 a.m. a 4 p.m. con una pausa sanitaria de 12:30 p.m. a 1:30 p.m.
El servicio sin previa cita para recoger en la puerta está disponible los lunes y viernes de 10 a.m. a 4 p.m. Haga clic aquí
para obtener más información.
SDCL se compromete a atender las necesidades del público y al mismo tiempo garantizar la seguridad de nuestros clientes y personal.
[+] Learner Requirements
- Be at least 18 years old, or 16 if not enrolled in school;
- Make a minimum commitment of six months;
- Meet with a tutor for 1-1/2 hours twice a week at a County Library branch.
[+] Volunteer Tutor Requirements
- Be at least 18 years old, with the equivalent of a high school diploma;
- Pass the County of San Diego's Volunteer Background Check;
- Successfully complete LEARN's Tutor Training program;
- Commit to a minimum of six months as a tutor;
- Meet with a learner for 1-1/2 hours twice a week at a County Library branch;
- Be patient, flexible and supportive with a sense of humor.
- Apply now to be a volunteer tutor »
Adult Literacy in San Diego County
An average 20% of adults locally struggle with reading and writing. It can be a source of embarrassment for adults, who are often unwilling to ask for help.
- Many have learning disabilities;
- Others received insufficient individual instruction in school or at home;
- Others are immigrants seeking to learn English.
Adult Literacy Services at San Diego County Library
- LEARN offers free, confidential adult literacy and learning services;
- Services include one-on-one and small group tutoring and computer-aided instruction;
- Centers are in the El Cajon and Vista branch libraries;
- Services are available at all San Diego County Library branches.
How LEARN Works
- Adults are assessed by a LEARN staff member at the their most convenient branch library; new English learners are assessed by Laubach personnel.
- Learners are matched with a trained volunteer tutor;
- Learners and tutors agree on a schedule and meeting place;
- Tutors are trained in learner-centered curriculum and teaching methods that help learners achieve goals important in their lives;
- Tutor/learner pairs meet twice a week for 1-1/2 hours per session;
- LEARN provides materials and ongoing support;
- Tutor/learner pairs report progress on a monthly basis.
Apply now to be a volunteer tutor »
El Cajon Branch Library
201 E. Douglas Ave.
El Cajon, CA 92020
Phone: (619) 588-3740
Fax: (619) 588-3732
Vista Branch Library
700 Eucalyptus Ave.
Vista, CA 92084
Phone: (760) 643-5144
Fax: (760) 643-5127
Toll Free: (888) 466-0668